Tuesday, October 27, 2009

PB&J

So today is Tuesday, I got up at 11. I don't have class until 3:50 on Tuesdays. It is raining way too much. After lunch I walked to the market across the street to see if it had plastic cups and plates, no. I walked to another, across the bridge.... no plates or cups. So I go to another small one, across the plaza. They have plates, I buy them along with lays chips and a 3L coke for the american corner conversation group. It was windy and raining, which equals loads of excitement while crossing the bridge, you always feel wary when a car or especially a micro (bus) goes by becuase there are puddles on the side of the road and they splash, like a classic scene in a movie when someone gets splashed when a car goes by. Always exciting.

So I come back to the house, take of my jacket and sweater because despite the rain it really is not super cold, so I am sweating beneath all this clothing, I was wearing a sweater made from alpaca wool or fur, and it is hot. So I get together all the things I need for american corner.... today I made pb&j for them! Yummy.

I went to the university, printed out some papers for american corner, for an activity we were going to do. Then I had class, had a test on indirect and direct pronouns, difficult. I went to american corner afterwards, me and Kevin lead the thing, we converse with chileans in english, come up with activities to do and things like that. So Kevin was there as well as two other chileans :/ There are usually about 8 people..... I don't know where they all were but they lost out. They missed the pb&j, and I brought some little snickers to give to the winning team of an activity, so we all ate them at the end. We ended up playing clue, Kevin won both times, and then we played pictionary, me and my partner Dawis lost, Kevin and Misael won.

Afterwards I walked out with them, and talked with them for a while, Dawis was waiting for his brother to arrive. He got there then I started talking to him, introductions etc. Very entertaining. They asked if Misael and I wanted to accompany them to a movie, but Misael had to study, and I had to go home.... well I didn't have to but I had all my stuff and about $4, so yes home was my destination. Then upon saying goodbye, Dawis's brother, Boris, said he would remember this day forever, and then they started to explain latino behaviors and the word coquetear, which I did not have clear at the time, they explained it to be something like sly, but it means to flirt. Sly sly latinos, but very nice and friendly.

They really liked the peanutbutter, I showed Boris, Dawis asked me to show him the peanutbutter. Then I opened it and asked if he wanted to try it, he said no, then I showed him how..... I put my pinky in it, got some out and ate it, then he did, ahhhh but right before he did he said, permiso, which means permission. They are all so polite. I am telling him to try it and I indicated how to do it and he is very reluctant to do it. Ah but they all eat french fries with forks here, hahahaha. Different customs.

So we said goodbye, I got away with just a handshake with Boris, that is how I greeted him, and at the end he gave me the option of a handshake which I took. But besos all around for everyone else. They say hello and goodbye with a kiss on the cheek, which is basically just touching cheeks and kissing the air, but some actually kiss you on the cheek.

And we all ate a lot of food, because there were only 4 of us, and I came home and ate dinner. Oh wow, I am like a rolly polly nice and round roll me on the ground :) Hahahaha. I like it. Now I am going to organize/rewrite some notes that I wrote on a movie in the cinema class last thursday, do some grammar homework, and fit in the soap opera, "Donde esta elisa?", in the middle of all that. Wooo chile.

No comments:

Post a Comment