Thursday, December 17, 2009

Internship

It is my fourth day of my internship! And well it is very interesting and some what stressful. Stressful, for one because well I am doing an internship in a tourist office, and this office is from the government, so apparently it is more uptight, which I have noticed. Their is a lot of heirarchy and they are somewhat formal, you have to call this person if they want to talk to the boss lady and then it is possible they can talk to her. The man that was in charge of what I was doing, working with the public and my translating things, left the second day I was there! I am under the impression that he quit, I do not know why, so I am rather confused on why that happened but it did. He described what my schedule would be like, what I need to do when I am in the office, then when he left, the guy who is now overseeing us, told me different things. Today the other two people who I work with in the front desk area working with tourists, we met with the boss lady and then discussed various things, one being which days I will be coming, and it was decided that I starting in January I would come Wednesdays through Sundays 10:00-7:00, with Mondays and Tuesdays off. Then near the end of the day I was informed by the man who oversees us that a new person would be coming to the office in January so they changed my schedule to Friday through Sunday 10:00-7:00, so I only have to work 3 days a week! But in the days I do not go to the office I will still do translating, just here at home instead of having to be in the office typing.

They only allow 45 minutes for lunch if you leave, and this is not enough for me to walk to my house and return, it does not give me very long to eat, so I need to bring food, or eat out. Lame. But I am planning on bringing fuits and vegetables, and perhaps some bread and cheese. I will see how that goes. Oh so what else makes this internship stressful is that I don't know squat. Tourists come looking for information.... that I really don't know, I am learning it myself and I am the one who is supposed to be giving it to tourists. So I really need to become an expert in this information ASAP. When I begin my new schedule in January I will be there with one other lady on the weekends with no one else in the office, during the week there are about 10 other people working in the back offices. During December I work Monday-Friday 8:30-5:30, until January. I believe the 24th we might come until 12 or something, but hopefully we wont have to come! The 25th we don't come of course. Nor the 1st of January I believe.

I just want to be better informed on the region, I imagine how much easier this would be, the internship if it were in a tourist office near where I live in Redding. I know the area somewhat so it would not be hard to learn all the tourist attractions of the area and the surrounding areas, and it would be in english! Doing all of this in Spanish makes everything a little foggier. But it is interesting, I will be much calmer once I know the information that tourists ask for and how to find all the right brouchers and information.

1 comment:

  1. No es heirarchy…es hierarchy :)
    No es fuits…es fruits :)
    No es brouchers…es brochures :)

    ;)

    ReplyDelete