Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Mechonas


So an interesting thing that happens in Chile is that the incoming college freshman are victims to the second year students in their career or any other upper classman. Victims is the best word I can think of to describe the wonderfully anticipated activity of Mechoneos. Basically what happens is that during the first week or two the second years go into their classrooms, the freshman don't know when this will happen but they know it is coming, they tell the professors that they have come to mechonear so no class for them. From what I understand they tend to leave the classroom and go outside somewhere because it gets messy. The second year students premeditate what they will be doing to the freshman, what activities they will have the students do.
They mix disgusting things together, basically really smelly things. Vinegar, garlic, tomate juice, and I am not exactly sure what. They pour it onto their heads, along with flour, they put paint on their faces, they have them roll in stuff, they hang fish heads around their necks, they have them walk in a human chain, with one arm between their legs holding the hand of the person behind them while holding the hand that is between the legs of the person in front of them, they have them all bow down to a certain person, they take them to the plaza and they have to each collect so many coins.... I gave away quite a bit of change walking around the center during that week, I just mainly give them some change to be rid of their smelly presence. These are just a few of the things that I am aware of what they do, and they also do bonding activities like dancing in front of everyone, girls licking yogurt off of guys bellies, and other interesting activities. But the students tend to look forward to this experience, some fear it greatly. It seems to be a positive experience for most, as well as an unforgettable one.

No comments:

Post a Comment